Meizu M9 Released to the Wild
December 21, 2010 Leave a comment
It’s like iPhone4 and Galaxy S fused together. Some say it’s a bastard son of iPhone4 and Galaxy S. Actually, it’s not the looks that resembles parts of the two phones but also the things that runs this phone. For one, it also uses the 3.5in 960×640 resolution screen that’s the same as those used in iPhone 4. It is rumored that it’s also being made by Shard ASV. On the processor side, it is the same as the one used in Galaxy S which is the 1GHz S5PC110 processor. And on top of all the other standard features, this beast has GSM, GPRS, EDGE, WCDMA, HSDPA,and HSUPA all rolled into one device. That’s a huge thing! And on top of all these is the Android 2.2 with custom Meizu UI (User Interface). I wouldn’t be surprised if this will be upgraded to Gingerbread(2.3) sooner than later.
Here’s the supposed specs of this phone according to the box.
- Screen: 16 million color 3.5-inch 960×640 resolution capacitive multi-touch display
- CPU / GPU: 1 GHz Samsung S5PC110 / PowerVR SGX 540 GPU
- Memory: 512 Mb RAM / 512 Mb ROM and MicroSDHC card slot up to 32GB
- Network Connectivity: Quad-band GSM / GPRS / EDGE / WCDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA
- Wireless Connectivity: WIFI / WAPI （802.11 b/g/n） and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Sensors: Gravity sensor, ambient light sensor, infrared distance sensor and electronic compass
- Positioning: GPS / A-GPS and electronic compass
- Video Formats: AVI, MP4, 3GP, MOV, MKV and FLV format
- Sound Formats: FLAC, APE, MP3, OGG, AMR, AAC and other formats
- Picture Formats: High-resolution JPG, PNG, BMP and GIF format
- Camera: 5 mega pixel, 720P HD recording, auto focus, touch focus and digital zoom
- Battery: 1370mAh lithium-polymer battery
- Ports: Mini USB2.0 high-speed port and 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
- Dimensions / weight: 59.8 × 113.0 × 11.2mm / 123g
- Price: about $325 (without headphone) and $365 (including headphone and a 8Gb Memory card)
Will I buy it? Of course…. if I can. But considering that it is only available in china, it won’t be easy to get one. I think it will be via DealExtreme at a later time but then again, you’ll have to wait. And Meizu’s CEO has already announced that only 300 will be available during launch and production to ramp up later. So there you go. unless you pay a hefty sum for it, you’re not going to get it.
For now, I’m still happy with my HTC Desire.
For images of the user interface, head to Engadget Gallery. They a pretty extensive list of the UI. How I wish they have an English set.